Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hurray for the Red, White and Blue!

Have you ever started a project and then WHAM...you got an idea that took you in a totally different direction? Well, that's exactly what happened to me with this week's project...I just love the creative process! What had originally started out as cupcake picks (yes, I was going to show off my baking abilities!), turned into this awesome banner! I know what you're thinking...."Darn, I would rather have had some cupcake pics!" Well, maybe next month!
I have a ton of pictures to share in this post, so I hope you enjoy them all!
Here's the loooong list of items I used:

Chipboard
Idea-ology Seasonal Paper Stash (4th of July images)
AccuCut Pennant Die
Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, Old Paper, Faded Jeans and Barn Door
Stampers Anonymous Fabulous Flourishes RubberStamp
Crepe paper streamers in red, white & blue
Glimmer Mist - in various colors
Acrylic Paint - red
Accucut Scallop Circle Die
Tim Holtz Alterations Sizzix Decorative Strip Die - Paper Rosette
AccuCut Fringe Die
White and Red Cardstock
Blue Glitter Paper
Pearl topped hat pin ,a tiny price tag & 3 clear rhinestones
A strip of red rhinestones
2 Idea-ology Hinge Clips
2 skewers "borrowed" from my kitchen
Oh! and 2 stars from a box in the basement marked "Christmas decor"

Wow - that's a long list, but you know how it is when you start going on a project, you just keep adding things!
Ok, so here's how I made the "cupcake" picks. Very simple really, especially with the magical rosette die - if you don't have one yet, get one, it makes rosettes in a snap!


I printed out words using the My Underwood font onto plain printer paper. I used "God Bless America" and "Happy 4th of July" for my rosettes. I cut each word out, distressed the edges and glued them on the rosette center. Then I covered the center with Crystal Lacquer.


You can see in these photos that the edges are sparkly blue. This is the Gem Particles by Sakura and here is how I applied it. I made a puddle of Crystal Lacquer on a paper plate along with a mound of the Gem Particles. I dunked the edges of the rosette in first the crystal lacquer and then the Gem Particles, going around the entire edge and then set it aside to dry.



I glued the rosette onto a scallop circle, then glued a skewer behind the rosette, using Crystal Lacquer. Ta-DA!


This is where things kind of got fuzzy. I had my picks ready to go - (just go upstairs and make the cupcakes Karen)....but alas, I somehow got the idea to put these cute little numbers on a banner....a U S A banner...for the 4th of July....yeah! So, 2 days later....and a lot more doo dads, I finished it! Here's some more photos of the finished project.

For the firework-looking doo-dads, I just used my Accucut Fringe die. You could also, just cut fringe with your scissors, leaving a band uncut at the bottom, roll up the paper over a pencil, (to curl the fringe) then roll the bottom band around the bottom of a pencil to get the flower or fireworks shape. I layered 2 together and used a hot glue gun to attach to the banner. I glued a clear rhinestone in the center.




I used crepe paper streamers to make the large rosettes* under each letter.
This one was sprayed with glimmer mist and edged in red acrylic paint.

I outlined the "JULY 4th" with crystal lacquer to make it shiny.


Well, that's it for today. I hope you all enjoy your 4th of July holiday - hey, make a banner!

Our Design Team has a fun Blog Hop planned for June 30th. I hope you can join us for it!
Here's a link to get more information and to RSVP -

For more information of Crystal Lacquer products, visit www.sakuracraft.com
and please visit my blog and become a follower!! - www.katscrapstudio.blogspot.com

Until Next time...stay creative!

* Chelsea had shared how to make these easy-peasy crepe paper rosettes on the Sakura Blog, but if you'd like more info on how to make them, you can just email me at katscrapfever@sbcglobal.net .

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this project. YOU really do a wonderful job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this project deserves way more recognition... So, here's my great BIG
    God Bless America Salute to you. I L-O-V-E I-T. Looking forward to cupcakes next time :)

    ReplyDelete