Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Turning a "Good Fortune" into a Stylish Altered Bangle

Happy Wednesday! What do you do with a leftover cardboard tape spool and a fortune from a fortune cookie??? Susan back again to share another project I've created using Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer with Terri Sproul Mixers - this time I'm GREENCRAFTING!!!


I've made a CHIC artistic bangle out of a recycled cardboard tape spool that I have painted with Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers and collaged with stamped paper misted with my Mixers Mist. The feature of my bangle is a fortune that I saved from a fortune cookie.


I cut a section away from the tube and cut the edges rounded. I sanded the edges with an emory board.


On a strip of scrap patterned paper, I stamped I used Viva Las Vegastamps! patent stamp #1687 with waterproof royal blue ink.


I misted paper with my sheer Mixers Mist to dampen paper. CLICK HERE to see post on how to make your own Mixers Mists.


Gently crumple the paper to break up fibers to that it is not so stiff - AND - it will give a nice suede texture.


I also misted with some bronze/copper penny Mixers Mist to add extra shimmer and this brings out detail of distressed paper. I set aside to dry.


I mixed up some Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer and Garnet Pearl and Garnet Shimmer Terri Sproul Mixers to apply a base layer to the bangle.


I apply Garnet Mixers to base of tube with 2-3 coats to seal paper and also to build up a nice layer of color.


Completed painted cardboard bangle - which looks lovely just like this! But this is just a starting off point...I want to make it more "ME". So I'm going to make it all painted and inky, too! 


Now I adhere the stamped and painted paper I prepared in the beginning. I cut lines into the paper around the rounded sides to get a smooth wrap-around. I mounted my fortune to a rectangle of chipboard and adhered to bangle with Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer. I finished off by painting entire bangle in a nice coat of Crystal Lacquer.

Presenting "Art-cycled" CHIC Bangle


My bangle is all artsy and recycled! It looks lovely...and is the perfect home for my GOOD FORTUNE "You feed your body every day. You must also feed your mind".

I hope you enjoyed today's post - and all of the projects I have created during my time with the Sakura Hobby Craft Design Team! I have had a wonderful time creating with Sakura Hobby Crafts products and I look forward to what the new Design Team dreams up. If you would like to continue to keep up with me and my creative adventures - please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here.

Keep Creating! Sb : )

2 comments:

  1. Love the recycled tape spool, it looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your bangle!! :) That is the perfect stamp~ :)

    ReplyDelete