Friday, January 18, 2013

Steampunk Mardi Gras Mask Pin



In  Louisiana it is Mardi Gras Season. Everywhere you look you see king cakes, Mardi Gras beads and purple, green, and gold! So to honor my roots I created a Steampunk Mardi Gras Mask Pin. I took a resin face that I had previously poured (that had some imperfections in the left side), some metal gears, watch parts, 3d crystal lacquer and lacquer mixers and rub-n-buff.






Red Pearl & Shimmer Purple
Terri Sproul Mixers.
Watch Parts





Directions
Step 1.


Step 1.

Take resin face ( mine was poured. Few days before with black dyed resin)

Step 2.
Rub with rub-n-buff ( silver), to highlight the raised areas.






Step 2. 
Step 2. 

Step 3.
Take some 3d crystal lacquer and squirt a drop on your non stick mat and mix in a little of the Terri Sproul mixers. I used purple to highlight the eyes as eyeshadow and red to highlight the lips.


Step 4.
Step 4
Step 4.
Then start gluing ( using the 3d crystal lacquer as a glue) the small gears over the right eye of the face. I then use some small watch gears and cross the forehead.




Step 5.

Step 5.
I squirted more 3d crystal lacquer on the non stick mat and glue the three larger gears together. I didn't glue them directly t the back yet because the back of the face want even enough. Maybe using a thicker glue it might work, but I was trying the artfully arrange my large gears.












Step 6.
Step 6.
Once that dried I then pealed it off the mat and trimmed and then attached to the back of the face.


I had planned on some more Mardi gras embellishments, but I really liked my mask this way. Glue a pin on the back and you are done!

If you have issues gluing the three larger gears, you could attach the gears and mask to a circle piece of glass.

Tanya


TK Arts
Tanya Ruffin











Create Studios

1 comment:

  1. How fun is that ! Okay that eye shadow and that lipstick pop !! Way cool project !

    ReplyDelete